Monday, September 1, 2014

Crocheting Amish Granny Squares


Labor Day -- the official end of summer for most folks here in the U.S. Schools are back in session tomorrow, vacations over. Oh, too quick, too quick! Where did summer go? That's what I love about blogging -- at least you capture those special moments and post them online. It doesn't matter that no one comments. But it matters to me that when the winds are blowing and the snow is flying, I can pull up my blogs (yes, I admit, I have more than one) and review those posts that capture the sights of summer. 

This is a new "giant" granny square that I completed yesterday. I've decided to make a large afghan using these over-sized squares framed in black. These remind me of the Amish quilts that are famous for the use of bright jewel tones and black. 

The Amish are not permitted to wear colors. They usually dress in dark blues, grays and black except for the women's white caps. 




So far I've completed 3 big "amish" blocks -- one with hot pink, coral and yellow; the other with bright green, purple and turquoise -- all framed in beautiful black!  

I think in the dead of winter those jewel tones will liven things up a bit, don't you?  

Here's another thought:  how quilting can inform crochet and vice versa.  Hmmm, something to explore -- after I finish my Amish Granny Square project, 'tho!

No comments: