Sunday, September 21, 2014

Crafting in the Shade Garden


Last weekend was gorgeous -- the weather was delightful and so I spend most of Sunday under the trees working on another giant granny square afghan. Calling this one "Gumdrops" and it's almost finished. It will probably find a home on the living room sofa -- I find as the autumn and winter close in, I crave color more than ever! 


Then I did some handstitching on these small log cabin blocks. They'll probably end up in a small quilt for my niece -- such cute girly colors, I think -- perfect for a 4-year old! 


I often throw scraps into a large wicker basket and just work randomly from the pile, piecing together based more on the color combinations and patterns than using a plan. For years I've been in love with the batiks and have recently added the fabrics from Any Butler and Kaffe Fassett, as you can see here -- the colors and patterns are so rich!


I'll just keep on going until I have a significant pile of pieced blocks and then see how they fit together into something larger -- maybe a wall-hanging or even a quilted vest? Hopefully the weather holds and another afternoon in the back garden is in store . . . ?

No comments: