Sunday, January 11, 2015

Staying warm

It's always about this time of year that I begin to crave color -- lots of color! The hotter, the better. 


I've been sewing together pieces of fabric from my Batik Stash, a great and mighty pile of scraps that I've accumulated over the years. Don't you just love these colors and prints? 


At some point, I'll figure out how to put them all together from either a wall hanging or a small lap quilt to throw over my sofa, which is a cream color. 


I have several of these small quilt projects going at any given time. I tend to work on them mostly in the summer because fabric scraps are so much lighter than yarns. My problem arises when I have to sit at the sewing machine to assemble them all -- I hate being trapped at the desk in the lower level of the house. 


But right about now -- at 25 degrees and under gloomy skies! -- sitting in my toasty work studio in the lower level is not all that bad -- kind of cozy actually.  Hopefully, I'll have something to post later in the month. Right now, I'm heading upstairs to the fireplace with my "gargantuan granny afghan" and my crochet and craft magazines piled by my feet . . . what better way to spend a quiet Sunday afternoon?  


 What am I reading now?  The wonderful French mystery writer, Fred Vargas, and her first book in the series: The Chalk Circle Man.


Actually, I'm re-reading it because it is such an amazing mystery!  I do that from time to time -- re-read favorite novels and mysteries.  You just cannot get around darn good writing, and Fred Vargas is one of the greats.  She is an historian and archaeologist and here is a list of her works.  Enjoy!

 

No comments: